Monday, June 10, 2013

Meet the Artist Monday: David Prottas


Photo: Troy Schumacher 
David joined BalletCollective in the Spring of 2012 and has also been a member of the corps de ballet of City Ballet since 2007. A versatile dancer with great energy, he brings his unique style and sinuous physicality to each step he attacks. 

Here is my Q & A with David:

Me: What does BalletCollective mean to you?

David: The opportunity to explore my creativity and individuality as a dancer within the context of a small supportive group of artists.

What do you enjoy about working with Troy?

I like how Troy allows the process to be equal parts fun and work. He is patient and encouraging.

After a hard day of dancing, what is your favorite meal?

It doesn't get much better than a cheeseburger, fries and a vanilla milkshake, but that's a once in awhile indulgence. I'll pretty much eat anything frankly. 

Your most memorable onstage moment?

Any moment when I'm out of my head and completely invested in the work is a good moment on stage. The balance between being completely relaxed while also being totally invested in whatever I'm dancing  is rare, but when I find that balance, it's a great feeling.

What's your favorite way to pass time?

Meeting new people or hanging out with good friends, watching movies, the usual. 

What are you reading?

"The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz

What's the most recent song/album you've downloaded?

"Magic To Do" from the broadway revival of Pippin. I recently saw the show and it was amazing. The song helps me get in the mood before a show.

If you could die and come back as an animal, what would you be?

A dolphin or a monkey or a merman (kidding)

Your greatest influence?

The desire to keep learning and challenging myself in all aspects of my life. (Not sure if that is an influence)

Anything else you'd like people to know about you...

Hmmm.... when I was a kid my dream was to own my own hotel.




David is funny, caring, positive, all in all, an amazing guy. It has been very exciting to get to know David. Below I have attached a video of David dancing his solo "Rocket" from Epistasis! Enjoy and see you next Monday to meet Lauren King!

1 comment:

  1. Love how you are featuring dancers, neat to see more of the behind the scenes of how it all works!

    ReplyDelete