Wednesday, June 26, 2013

CR Fashion Book Shoot

BalletCollective has had many great opportunities to collaborate with artists from other genres. One of my favorites was when BalletCollective was asked to participate in a shoot for Carine Roitfeld's CR Fashion Book Issue 2. Carine was the editor-in-chief of French Vogue for ten years and is about as high as it gets in the fashion world. Recently, she left to pursue her own artistic vision and started CR, a beautiful, richly illustrated magazine.

Luckily for us, Issue 2 was dance themed and it showcased famous dancers from all over the world. As an emerging dance company, all of us at BalletCollective were extremely honored to be a part of this esteemed group, wearing up-and-coming fashion designers' clothes. In our shoot, BalletCollective's dancers framed three stunning models wearing mainly Armani plus Bentley, our chimpanzee co-star. Yes, a chimpanzee! Carine shared with us that it was always a dream of hers to include a chimp in a fashion shoot. 

The shoot took place downtown at Industria Superstudios bright and early on a Saturday morning in December. I remember this day like it was yesterday. We were in the middle of Nutcracker at City Ballet. I luckily had the matinee off so I could stay at the shoot 'til 5:30 pm. The day began with a manicure and pedicure for all the 'talent'. I have done my fair share of photo shoots but never have I been given a spa manicure and pedicure! It was pure bliss! 

Next was hair and makeup. My hair was pulled up into a high pony tail. Then the hair elastic was wrapped with leather to make the pony tail stand tall. I was giving the task of whipping my pony tail to create movement during the shoot!

BalletCollective's spread was a five page feature. Here are my two favorite shots.



CR Fashion Book, Photo: Paul Maffi




CR Fashion Book, Photo: Paul Maffi


What I love about these two photos is the movement quality and energy they exude. As each dancer, model, and chimp execute individual movements, together as a collective whole they create symmetry, beauty, and fun.  


The colors of the overall look of each shot are cohesive. Though the outfits we wear are each unique and different, the dance gestures draw the group into an intriguing, seamless design flow. This allows the movements and shapes to shine. The genius of Carine.

We were lucky to share the space with three graceful models. They, like us, have beautiful movement qualities and an ability to move with such ease that is showcased nicely in these shots. Even though I dance for a living I had a hard time relaxing into poses and keeping the energy alive. The models are able to easily stay looking comfortable with the more complicated movements, especially the model with her leg extended. That is a hard position to be in, let alone having Bentley (heavier than he looks) sitting on your thigh!

And lastly, I love Bentley. He is such a character and portrays such humor through these shots. I particularly find the first shot of Bentley crouching pure brilliance. I'm actually being lifted in the back (I'm in white, seen only from the waist down) and had no idea Bentley was posing like that! It is really cute!

Participating in CR's Issue 2 was an amazing experience. From the royal treatment to dancing with Bentley to meeting Carine and her crew, especially our photographer Paul Maffi, I will never forget that day! 

1 comment:

  1. I hope you use these fabulous photos for your publicity campaign! Such a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete