Monday, June 17, 2013

Meet the Artist Monday: Lauren King

Photo: Troy Schumacher
Lauren King is an original member of BalletCollective. Her sparkling presence transforms her movement into an exemplar of purity and strength. 

Here is my Q & A with Lauren:

Me: What does BalletCollective mean to you?


Lauren: BalletCollective is unique in its process of bringing together talented artists from all different art forms and forming cohesive works which incorporate the perspective of each. 


What do you enjoy about working with Troy?

I am inspired by Troy's musicality and thoughtfulness in his choreography. Our similar background style from NYCB makes it easier for me to understand his thought process and work ethic. I also am motivated by the collaborative atmosphere while working on new pieces or reworking old ones. 


After a hard day of dancing, what is your favorite meal?

I enjoy eating almost everything, so it really depends on what I am craving that day. However, I typically prefer to eat dinner before I perform at night and after the show I will have a snack or a big bowl of ice cream. 


What's your favorite way to pass time?

I love making things and starting new creative projects with any free time I have. Sometimes I only have time to cook, or bake up something new and sometimes I take on a larger project such as painting my shower curtain or making a large tree on my wall of cork and glass.


What are you reading?

I am currently reading The Black Count by Tom Reiss. It is all about the real life inspiration for the stories from The Count of Monte Cristo (favorite book!) and The Three Musketeers. 


If you could die and come back as an animal, what would you be?


Lion


Your greatest influence?

All the teachers I have had have impacted me in some way. I try to get something from every and any source: teachers, peers, other artists, my students, books, everything. 


Do you have any pets?

I have a bunny named Mishu and a red and orange corn snake named Naga.


Lauren and I have known each other for a long time. We studied at The School of American Ballet together and were just promoted to Soloist together. I love dancing with Lauren in our pas de deux from Troy's Epistasis!

No comments:

Post a Comment