Monday, August 5, 2013

Meet the Artist Monday: Meagan Mann

Photo: Troy Schumacher

Meagan Mann was tapped to join BalletCollective for their 2013 season. Recognized for her style and musicality, she evokes a distinctive piquant quality with every movement.

Here is my Q and A with Meagan:

Me: What does BalletCollective mean to you?

Meagan: To me BalletCollective means teamwork. Troy looks for each dancer’s distinct qualities, and what draws his eye to them, and then utilizes it while choreographing on them. He is also able to work collaboratively with other artists such as musicians and poets. His collaborative process is intriguing.

What do you enjoy about working with Troy?

I have genuinely enjoyed Troy’s appreciation for each of his dancers. It is such a pleasure to be treated with respect by a choreographer. You don’t have to be tough on your artists to achieve a great piece of work, but unfortunately so many choreographers are too tough on their dancers. Troy keeps the rehearsal environment a place where everyone is comfortable in their own skin.

After a hard day of dancing, what is your favorite meal?

I always love steamed spinach, roasted sweet potato, rotisserie chicken, and maybe some slices of cheddar cheese. That has got to be my favorite combination of food for dinner.

Your most memorable onstage moment? 

The first time I performed "Arabian" in New York City Ballet’s the Nutcracker.  I was literally out there, by myself, and all I could think about was… “How did I get here? What’s happening?” I was cracking myself up in my head because my response to the experience was not what it should have been.  As I performed the role more, I began having so much fun with it, and I became more comfortable.

What's your favorite way to pass time?

I love some good old TV time on the couch with a glass of wine!

What are you reading?

The Cuckoo’s Calling, by J.K. Rowling under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith; I was so excited when I found out she had written another book! It’s a shame she couldn’t keep her secret longer.

What's the most recent song/album you've downloaded?

I never download music, I love Pandora and I love when other people introduce me to new music, but I don’t have much of my own collection.

If you could die and come back as an animal, what would you be?

A cat or a bird. 

Your greatest influence?

Janie Taylor. Her movement quality and attack when she dances are so inspiring. Also I can relate to her having been through some serious injuries. 

Anything else you'd like people to know about you?

Beyond my rigorous schedule of ballet and college, when I have some time to relax, I like to just be normal and hang out with my friends and go out to a movie.

Meagan is a great addition to BalletCollective and I have loved being in rehearsals with her. I look forward to performing together in both Epistasis and The Impulse Wants Company!

3 comments:

  1. Great interview. I enjoy how you start the week with something fresh and new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://lifeinthepointeshoes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete