Monday, September 15, 2014

Meet the Artist Monday: Claire Kretzschmar

Claire Rehearsing New Salle in Telluride
Claire joins BalletCollective this season bringing her crisp musicality and dynamic athleticism to the New Salle piece and The Impulse Wants Company.

Here is my Q and A with Claire:  

Me: What does BalletCollective mean to you?
BalletCollective is a very intimate company made up of some of the most talented, individual, and genuine artists I know. Throughout the rehearsal process, it is inspiring to be around such people, and so uplifting to see how much we truly value each other as dancers and friends. There is no hierarchy in the company, which adds to this egalitarian feel and gives us the opportunity to freely explore our artistry. I feel very liberated on many levels when I dance with the company.

What do you enjoy about working with Troy?
Troy really understands that dancers are individuals with distinct personalities and movement styles. During the choreographic process, he allows us to infuse our instinctive movement qualities with his steps, which gives his ballets very unique and personalized qualities.

After a hard day of dancing, what is your favorite meal?
This is such a tough question because I love all foods! But I suppose that one of my favorite comfort meals is a hearty plate of pasta loaded with meat and veggies, and followed by a homemade brownie sundae or perhaps a slice of hummingbird cake from Magnolia Bakery.

Your most memorable onstage moment?  

When I was 19, I got my braces off on a Friday morning before our evening show of The Nutcracker, and I couldn’t wait to get onstage and show audiences my new, smooth smile. That night I decided to make my first entrance in the snow scene extra big, particularly since I enter from the back wing by myself. Turns out the snow scene was a bit icy that night and upon taking my first step, my leg slipped out from under me and I landed flat on my bottom! After laughing and smiling enormously throughout the rest of the dance, I remember Megan Fairchild saying to me after, “Your slippery teeth must have made the ground slippery too!” I think that was my first fall ever onstage.

What's your favorite way to pass time? 

I love to play good music on my speakers and bake something delicious in the kitchen.

What are you reading? 

I’m not reading any books for pleasure at the moment, but I’m reading an interesting book for school called “Influence” which explains how people can persuade and be persuaded in everyday life.

What's the most recent song/album you've downloaded?
I just downloaded the Grand Budapest Hotel Soundtrack; it’s so quirky and puts me in the best mood!

If you could die and come back as an animal, what would you be?
Flying as a bird would be amazing, but I think I would want to be a sea otter because they look like they have so much fun swirling around in the water!

Your greatest influence? 

My parents - It’d be impossible to list the all of the ways that they have influenced my life.

Claire is a wonderful addition to BalletCollective. It has been great to work with her both in coaching and as a fellow dancer on stage. I look forward to our New York season and watching her grow as a dancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment